Pages

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Things You Can Do to Make Halloween Safer for Your Pet


Don't feed your pets Halloween candy, especially if it contains chocolate or xylitol (a common sugar substitute found in sugar-free candies and gum);

Make sure your pet is properly identified (microchip, collar and ID tag) in case s/he escapes through the open door while you're distracted with trick-or-treaters;

Keep lit candles and jack-o-lanterns out of reach of pets;
If you plan to put a costume on your pet, make sure it fits properly and is comfortable, doesn't have any pieces that can easily be chewed off, and doesn't interfere with your pet's sight, hearing, breathing, opening its mouth, or moving. Take time to get your pet accustomed to the costume before Halloween, and never leave your pet unsupervised while he/she is wearing a costume;

Keep glow sticks and glow jewelry away from your pets. Although the liquid in these products isn't likely toxic, it tastes really bad and makes pets salivate excessively and act strangely;

If your pet is wary of strangers or has a tendency to bite, put him/her in another room during trick-or-treating hours or provide him/her with a safe hiding place;

Keep your pet inside.

Attention, animal lovers, it's almost the spookiest night of the year! The ASPCA recommends taking some common sense precautions this Halloween to keep you and your pet saying "trick or treat!" all the way to November 1.



No tricks, no treats: That bowl of candy is for trick-or-treaters, not for Scruffy and Fluffy. Chocolate in all forms—especially dark or baking chocolate—can be very dangerous for dogs and cats. Candies containing the artificial sweetener xylitol can also cause problems. If you do suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, please call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.


Popular Halloween plants such as pumpkins and decorative corn are considered to be relatively nontoxic, but they can produce stomach upset in pets who nibble on them.


Wires and cords from electric lights and other decorations should be kept out of reach of your pets. If chewed, your pet might suffer cuts or burns, or receive a possibly life-threatening electrical shock.


A carved pumpkin certainly is festive, but do exercise caution if you choose to add a candle. Pets can easily knock a lit pumpkin over and cause a fire. Curious kittens especially run the risk of getting burned or singed by candle flames.


Dress-up can be a big mess-up for some pets. Please don't put your dog or cat in a costume UNLESS you know he or she loves it (yup, a few pets are real hams!). For pets who prefer their “birthday suits,” however, wearing a costume may cause undue stress.


If you do dress up your pet, make sure the costume isn't annoying or unsafe. It should not constrict the animal's movement or hearing, or impede his ability to breathe, bark or meow. Also, be sure to try on costumes before the big night. If your pet seems distressed, allergic or shows abnormal behavior, consider letting him go au naturale or donning a festive bandana.


Take a closer look at your pet’s costume and make sure it does not have small, dangling or easily chewed-off pieces that he could choke on. Also, ill-fitting outfits can get twisted on external objects or your pet, leading to injury.


All but the most social dogs and cats should be kept in a separate room away from the front door during peak trick-or-treating hours. Too many strangers can be scary and stressful for pets.


When opening the door for trick-or-treaters, take care that your cat or dog doesn't dart outside.

IDs, please! Always make sure your dog or cat has proper identification. If for any reason your pet escapes and becomes lost, a collar and tags and/or a microchip can be a lifesaver, increaing the chances that he or she will be returned to you.


(https://www.avma.org and https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/halloween-safety-tips)

1 comentários:

  1. This post could be seen as me trying to promote some spell caster, well, yes you can say that. However, this is me just trying to get everyone informed about how Dr Herbal Sango saved my Maltese Poodie's life. Sally(19months old), as I often call her got ill from food poisoning earlier this year and had found it very difficult to regain full health since then. Visited several veterinaries and petshops and day-by-day, I kept losing Sally. She became so lean and would hardly eat despite all medical treatments. It was very hard for me to accept that as Sally's fate so I decided to find magical help. I just wanted to keep giving my all till either Sally is saved or lost. As with almost everyone, I got scammed severally, more than 4 times (2 spell casters from South Africa and 2 others from Nigeria).

    In June, I came across a testimonial on an health blog about how someone got healed from Herpes. That was hard to believe but desperation can take you anywhere. I contacted Dr Herbal Sango and told him about the health issues my dog was faced with and he assured me that my dog will go through pain no more. Here is the thing, I will tell everyone this, as long as it is health related, I can vouch for this man. I never thought the medicine would be actually shipped to me. Every story I have read on the internet made me believe once the spell caster talks about shipping and shipping costs, that is a damn red flag. It was for me too but at times desperation won't make you see it as a red flag. I have my receipts of payment intact, and the shipping waybill from Dr Herbal Sango. In less than 2weeks, Sally got fully healed, eats very fine and it is very good now to say my Sally has fully recovered. This drug prepared by Dr Herbal Sango is to also not make her fall sick for a long time. For $309, Dr Herbal Sango has given Sally a new life, and given me a new hope as well. This is not compulsory for you to believe, but it was necessary for me to post. you can contact him here as sango101@rediffmail.com Thank You Dr Herbal Sango!!!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger news